Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Indonesian

I am proud to be an Indonesian. I am proud with my brown skin and black silky hair. I am proud with my petite body. I am proud with the land of riches that I am born to. I am proud with my culture. I am not an aggressive american woman. I do not fit with the one night stand and casual sex in America. I am proud to have a culture that respects the elderly and cares for the younger. I am proud on how tight the family and friendship relationship is in my country. I am proud with the seas and forests in my country.

I am an Indonesian woman. My blood, my skin, my mind, my gesture, my language is one with Indonesia. I am proud with all my Indonesian traits. Don't try to change me with all the foul language that does not have any Indonesian interpretation. Don't try to fool me with democracy that does not goes with my heart because the aggresive and directness profound with it. Don't try to educate me to be more of an independent woman because I am submissive and proud to choose to be the way I am. Don't point your fingers on me for thinking that the most important role in my life is being a mother, a daughter, a wife, a companion and a friend. Don't try to sell your belief on what an independent woman should be like, because the essence of being independent is free choice. I choose to remain to be an Indonesian. I choose to be a female who like to smiles through the hurdles of life. I choose the skin I am comfortable to be with.

I am a woman. I like to be in a typical indonesian relationship called "pacaran". I am not comfortable with american man who has relationship only when it is comfortable, and give up easily whenever there is an obstacle. I am not comfortable with the american marriage where divorce is a very easy thing to do, and leave the children stranded. I am not comfortable with man not being a provider and takes up the household chores. I am not comfortable with the overflaunting and overexposing clothes. No matter how sexy you say that I am in those outfit- I do not feel comfortable because that is not me. These are my values and my beliefs. Don't feed me and force me to be someone that I am not.

You can say that i am submissive. You can say that I am too tolerant. You can say that I am conventional and traditional. You can say that my country is dirty. You can say that my culture is irrational and magical. You can say anything you want to say. But for once, if you try to see it from my eyes, and try to understand- you have begin your first step in loving me.

No comments: