Thursday, October 26, 2006

Status

I never really cared about the status in friendster, facebook or other virtual places. I never thought that it really matters. because people that are my friends in virtual world are my friends in real life. So why bother updating about my status or my situation, if I could tell it directly to them? I think showing your love to the whole world by demonstrating your pictures with your loved ones, and giving possesive testimonials filled with "I love yous" to show that he/she is mine is an insecure and pathetic act.

I almost never added any random friends from chats or any other attempts. Perhaps that is why my account is filled with requests for friends addition- which i usually reject or not reply. Some of them are really stubborn and didn't stop at the first attempt. But I had a very clear goals and aim in joining these networking thing, it was not to add friends or to flirt or to broaden my network. It is simply to catch up and find out how my other friends are doing. It wasn't until I was in US that i realized how benefecial this networking things are. I know from the updates of my friend's profile, their bulletin, blurbs and blogs about what is happening with them. In a way, this is my way of keeping in touch with my friends.

I also found out a lot of things about my own country through these network sites. This year, I got invited to five weddings, found out about funerals and other state policies- all through these websites. Not to mention things about my family, because they are in the website too. And to see people's testimonials, pictures, and messages for me, is something that brightens up my days- to know that there is someone thinking about me on the other side of the world.

It was in one perfect day- last year, that i found out that a guy whom i was in a relationship with- did not changed his status in his networking site. I somehow feel that my existence, in his eyes, did not matter. I felt that my relationship with him was defined by his status in these networking thing. I feel..degraded, enraged, and not respected. It was as if my existence was denied and invalidated. Looking back, I think I over reacted. This is when I know that I over rated my virtual existence and take it as the value of my real existence. Perhaps this is based on my communication by that time, all of which I did through phone or chat conversation. I valued highly my virtual exostence by that time. I still think that it is disrespectful-in a certain degree, but do not take it as seriously. What I understand now, virtual world is in itself virtual. Based on all the cases where the police tracked down all the sexual pervert and predator from online chats and networking websites such as MySpace- I take it that not everyone is being their real self when they are in virtual world. I have always been honest in my virtual communication, but the alluring aspect of this world is its virtuality, not it's reality.

However, this is only my opinion. And other people may not think the same as I do. So, from now on, as a sign of respect- I will change my status in accordance with my real life status. Anyhow...shouldn't a relationship be based on respect and equality? And if i show my respect of his existence, i hope he does the same thing.

No comments: